Sunday, April 11, 2010

Lenses

In Cambodia mostly everyone loves big ass cameras and big ass lenses. The thought is the bigger the better. Everyone assumes that a big ass camera will make better pictures. The truth is that's horse shit. You need to be a better photographer. It's not your equipment. Period. More stuff just makes makes it more complicated to take photos. Try carrying a 5 kilo camera all day. Think you'll want to take pics? It's more likely that your arm will fall off. Take only what you need and learn how to use it. Look at www.kenrockwell.com for more info on this. Love or hate him I completely agree with what he has to say. All the lenses below are light and easy to carry except for the 24-70 f2.8 which is a pro zoom lens and weighs a ton.
For wide shots. I had a 17-35 f2.8 but sold it in favor of this lighter, smaller 20mm f2.8. Primes are the way to go.
Here's a staple of low light photography. 50mm f1.4
I love this lens for portraits. 85mm f1.8
This is a decent walk-around prime. The 35mm f2.0
This is a beast and I hate carrying it around. This bastard will break your neck if you're not careful. I leave this at home unless I absolutely need it.
Here's my 105mm f2.8 micro/macro lens. all of these shots in this post were taken with this lens except for the picture of itself.
This is a telephoto I don't mind carrying at all. 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 Nowhere near as fast as any of these other lenses but it gets the job done and is light.

No comments:

Post a Comment